Re: [OM] 80, 38, and 20 macro lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] 80, 38, and 20 macro lenses
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 09:10:58 -0600
Dean Hoarder Hansen wrote:
> The automatic 38/2.8 is the entomologist's macro lens to kill for.
> That's why I have three.  And no one was killed--just two unbelievably
> lucky (< $200) snipes on ebay.

So, I'm visiting Dean and his lovely wife at their house. We go down
into the "man cave" where the photography stuff is stacked to the
ceiling. A bookcase or two or three is loaded down with camera bits. I
look and see a 38/2.8. Hmm. Nice, I tell myself. Then there is another
and another... Next, I see the auto extension tube, and another and
another and another and another... Macro lenses? If Olympus made it,
he's got at least two of it. How about macro flash gear? Yup. In
multiple sets.

Dude!

In the subtle game of one-upmanship, I try to come up with ANYTHING in
my kit that he doesn't have. Other than the OM-3Ti, it was slim
pickings. Oh well, better this way. No need to be in competition. Just
enjoy the ride.

If any of you get the opportunity to meet Dean, take it. He's a world
of quality information. I'm just full of information, but quality is
questionable. This guy knows his macro and has developed techniques
and tools that are in a different league.

The OM List is a richer place having people like Dean in it. He's
another one of these highly educated types with a whole bunch of fancy
letters behind his name that he doesn't brag about.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx