[OM] PS6 raw conversion vs. Oly Viewer 2 and E-M5 in-camera JPEGs

Subject: [OM] PS6 raw conversion vs. Oly Viewer 2 and E-M5 in-camera JPEGs
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 13:45:05 -0400
My wife recently asked me to take some photos of two of our grandkids in
their baseball uniforms and make some 8x10 prints.  I used a T-32 for
fill light under outdoor shade and was pleased when viewing the results
under BreezeBrowser.  But, since I was shooting both raw and a 5MP JPEG
what BreezeBrowser was actually showing me in a slideshow preview was
the JPEG image produced by the camera.

The JPEGs looked pretty good but I decided to do a little bit of work
from the raw files to see if I could pull the highlights down slightly
and also boost the shadow fill slightly plus another tweak or two.  When
I was finished I patted myself on the back for a job well done... until
I did a direct comparison with the JPEGs from the camera.  My PS raw
conversions looked a little flat by comparison.

To make a long story shorter (because I did several conversions with
different parameters) I ultimately chose the "as shot" raw file
conversion from Oly Viewer 2 as the best image.  Doing an as shot
conversion in PS/Camera Raw still resulted in a rather flat looking
image relative to the Oly Viewer 2 result.  Although the camera had been
set for "normal" contrast, etc. it was clear there was at least more
saturation involved from the Olympus side.  So I produced another Camera
Raw conversion, this time with a 10% saturation boost.  That pretty much
fixed most of the picture (trees, grass, clothing, etc) but skin tones
were decidedly gray looking relative to the Oly effort.  At that point I
noticed that the histogram of the converted image showed significant
black point and possibly shadow fill not done by the Camera Raw conversion.

Anyhow, I am totally mystified about how to reproduce those very nice
skin tones in Camera Raw.  I would hate to think I need to abandon
Camera Raw for Viewer 2.  It did a very nice job on an as-shot
conversion but I very much dislike using the thing.  Advice???

Chuck Norcutt