Re: [OM] What is the split?

Subject: Re: [OM] What is the split?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 22:42:43 -0600
> Does it REALLY require premium for all driving? My Lexus is supposed to have
> it as did my Audi, but I found that for regular around town driving mid
> grade was fine. Any modern car should be ok, as the computer will recoginse
> knocking via the knock sensor, and retard the spark. Don't try to outrun the
> cops but otherwise you're ok. REgular could do, but don't have the guts to
> try.

Likely not. I'm experimenting and will try 89 next.

I take back what I said about the moving headlights. I took it out on
mountain roads this evening. Yeah, they work very well for that.
Around town, it's a gimmick.

Speaking of mountain roads, I had the opportunity to see what dance
moves it knows. Going uphill, it is severely lacking in engine. I can
see why the big V8 versions are so popular here. But it is very well
behaved when you're leaning on either rear corner. Coming downhill,
it's a little less controlled once the inside rear comes off the
ground. Descending and heavy braking in a tight hairpin, it feels like
it wants to spiral in. But this is a marked 10 MPH corner taken at 40.
Those poor tires were a howling. The traction control subtracted a lot
of speed coming through that corner which means that it's going to
oversteer. Neither my Jeep or Prius would have even made the corner,
but would have understeered itself right through the guardrail. (I
carefully tested the limits before coming to these hairpins, so I had
a good idea what it would do and I never exceeded the brakes' ability
to stop the vehicle before launching).

Offroad, it's not the Jeep. It certainly does not like washboard. It's
OK in the dirt, but first gear and reverse is way too tall for that
engine. What did impress me was just how good it handles and tracks on
dirt roads. It's a good 10 MPH faster than the Grand Cherokee in that
regard, and the Grand Cherokee is no slouch.

So, the X5 is quick, great handling and highly manouverable. The tires
gave out long before the chassis did (except for that hairpin). Even
though it is not a sports car, it is still satisfying on the quick
switchbacks. Corners where my Jeep was howling through and I'm sawing
with a vengence, the X5 was much faster and never broke loose.

Tires, excessive weight, wimpy engine, inadequate shocks. Address
those items and it should keep up with most sports sedans.

Now that I got that out of my system, I'll return to regular geezer driving.

AG