Re: [OM] What is the split?

Subject: Re: [OM] What is the split?
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:07:41 +0000
Personally, I have been seduced by the medium and large format negative,
and have mostly given up shooting 35mm except for certain things. 6x7 is
basically just as fast and easy to shoot as 35mm for most things, and 4x5
is really not that bad either. Maximizing 4x5 is a tripod-only situation
but for less exacting use, handheld 4x5 is a lot of fun and very doable.
Main downside is cost of film ($1-3/shot + processing), speed (of lenses,
and using the cameras), and weight/bulk (even the smallest 4x5 handheld I
have is still a bit more cumbersome than a Mamiya 7).  Showing up and
shooting handheld 4x5 is a guaranteed conversation starter, also. People
seem drawn to it like moths to a flame.

There's still lots of great deals on film gear out there, in medium format
and large format. Of course there are lens-du-jour type things that cost
way more than they are worth (brass soft-focus lenses for example). But
bread-and-butter stuff like nice modern plasmats and wide-angle lenses are
dirt cheap.

Once you get hooked on the results from medium and large format,  small
format (film or digital) is hard to go back to.