Re: [OM] PS6 raw conversion vs. Oly Viewer 2 and E-M5 in-camera JPEGs

Subject: Re: [OM] PS6 raw conversion vs. Oly Viewer 2 and E-M5 in-camera JPEGs
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 08:29:09 -0500
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Chuck Norcutt <
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The flatness remained even after I discarded my highlight and shadow
> recovery.  But I'm discovering there are other confounding factors.  I
> was doing my conversions in Camera Raw but viewing the final results in
> BreezeBrowser.  I noticed today that the same image looks different when
> viewed in the different apps.  I've got to figure that one out first.  I
> may have to give up BreezeBrowser and go to Bridge to get the same color
> rendition throughout.

I use Fast Stone (somewhat comparable to WheezeBrowser) for quick viewing
but have an right-click action-thingie to open the image in Bridge if I
want to go further.  FS makes some auto changes for viewing purposes which
are misleading.  Sometimes the raw image looks worse and sometimes better.
 Passing it through Bridge is a reality check of sorts.  Once I am in the
area I want to be in Bridge, FS has done its job.

On the subject of ACR vs Viewer -- ACR has gotten SO much better in recent
years that, while I used to use Viewer exclusively, I can't live with its
blocky highlights now.  I will have to give Viewer 3 a run, however.  The
E-620 holds highlights pretty well.  I sometimes miss real Olympus reds.

Joel W.