[OM] PS6 raw conversion vs. Oly Viewer 2 and E-M5 in-camera JPEGs--Moose

Subject: [OM] PS6 raw conversion vs. Oly Viewer 2 and E-M5 in-camera JPEGs--Moose returns this weekend
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 15:32:15 -0400 (EDT)
CS6 now provides direct access to the LUT--(look up tables)---I haven't
fussed with that or read about it in awhile but I think that is
equivalent to the profiles used by ACR???????  One can construct a
custom LUT to at least in part simulate the Oly colors with nice reds
and hopefully preserving the excellent skin tones (noted by many) with
the OM-D. I would think one would have to shoot a target and tweak the
settings to largely match a sampled jpeg.  processed with Oly software
or OOC version.  This can be added as a layer I think and further
tweaked and used in part by altering opacity.
I think it would be somewhat tedious but I suspect it has  been done
for several cams. Per my previous post, it took me 4 min to find it for
the E3.

Moose has used Vuescan for profiling but for scanning film.
The ACR profiles have certainly improved from a number of years ago as
noted by Joel and Moose didn't think the Oly software worth the trouble
but having your cake and eating it too should be doable--especially if
the work is already done. I have on good authority that A. Profiled
Moose will soon return and perhaps clarification will follow after he
digs out from his trip. No doubt some very nice images will follow as
well.

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/cs6/DNGProfile_EditorDocumentation.pdf

Comment on CS6

"Photoshop CS6 new feature : the ability to load a LUT directly
(without using an ICC profile).

Roughly speaking, the LUT is contained in a  “Color Lookup” layer (
settings are independant from Proofing menu).
It can load csp, 3dl, 3dls, 1dls, look and cube formats.
Some of the 3dl LUTs tested were rejected for some mysterious reasons
(a priori not directly related to sampling or shaper LUT size …). Needs
more enquiring.
However,  no problem with .cube and  .csp.

It can also load ICC profiles."

A. Sometimes Profiled, Mike

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Chuck Norcutt <
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The flatness remained even after I discarded my highlight and shadow
> recovery. But I'm discovering there are other confounding factors.

>>On the subject of ACR vs Viewer -- ACR has gotten SO much better in
recent
>>years that, while I used to use Viewer exclusively, I can't live with
its
>>blocky highlights now. I will have to give Viewer 3 a run, however.
The
>>E-620 holds highlights pretty well. I sometimes miss real Olympus
reds.