Re: [OM] Train Crash

Subject: Re: [OM] Train Crash
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 13:14:31 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>A couple of clarifications: the train was not a high-speed (AVE) train. It was
>travelling on AVE tracks (which have a different gauge than standard Spanish
>rail) but it was a new(ish) type of hybrid train that can make use of both
>sets of tracks. It cannot reach the AVE speeds of 300 km/h, only somewhere
>around 200 km/h.

     That and the map I later saw on CNN explains the differences between what
I saw on the security video and what I remembered about the AVE some time ago,
particularly the double set of wheels for each carriage rather than the ingle
one in between.  That's a safety feature on the TGV that prevents the train
from jack knifing if it derailes, supposedly.  It was tested for real when a
Virgin chunnel train derailed outbound north of Paris many years ago.

     Haven't seen the news since early this morning, but the driver is
undoubtedly facing at least 78 counts of negligent homicide.

Chris