Re: [OM] Manfrotto 294 w/QR Ballhead

Subject: Re: [OM] Manfrotto 294 w/QR Ballhead
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 13:56:41 -0500
On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Johnie Stafford <jms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK, at the risk of starting a religious war, I would like some advice.
>
> I'm looking for a steady, reasonably priced aluminum tripod to use with my
> E-M5.
>

> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/748116-REG/manfrotto_mk294a3_a0rc2_294
> _aluminum_3_section_tripod.html
>
> Has anybody used one of these Manfrotto 294's with the ball head? How is
> this ballhead? I've always used multi-axis heads before, but the simplicity
> of a ballhead is attractive.

I went with the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 carbon-fiber legs instead of aluminum.
Really, really light, very rigid.  Very good and rejecting vibration.  I
was going to go with a Manfrotto ballhead as well, but when I went to the
Calumet camera shop outside of Chicago to actually look at one, I also
played with one of their house brand ballheads and liked it enough to just
buy it right there.  I'm sure the Manfrotto ones are great - but I saved
about $100 and so far, it's worked out very well.  A ballhead takes some
getting used to, and probably isn't ideal for everything, but for me, so
far it's done the trick.

I do really love those CF legs, though.  Makes for a tripod that I don't
mind carrying around on a long walk.

--

Paul Braun  WD9GCO
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard