Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - one last one for this week

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - one last one for this week
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:11:24 -0500
On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 1:41 AM, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's a rather dramatic shot, Paul.
>
> Your working area sounds ridiculous; if commonsense or decency don't get
> you a workable working area, is there not a law requiring your employer to
> provide one?
>

> They'll argue that it's my own choice to shoehorn a computer underneath my
desk, and that they've provided me with an industry-standard hamster box.
I'll argue that my job requires me to have a workbench, and they'll argue
that I should share with the PC techs in the other room way down a
different hallway.  And I'll argue that the PC techs need all that space,
plus there are only two network jacks in their workroom.....

None of us in IS are happy with our space in the new building.  When this
whole thing started two years ago, they kept saying, "We want all of your
input to this design.  This is going to be YOUR hospital!"

And then we sat down with the architects, who rolled out a set of
blueprints for the cookie-cutter standard hospital of this size that
Corporate decreed we were going to get.  And promptly ignored all of our
input, including where power and network drops should actually go.  We've
spent easily twice as much on change orders and after-the-fact cable
installs than if they had just listened to us up front.

As an example, my hamster box has no power and no network jacks.  I've had
to run extension cables under the divider wall and into the next cube so
that I can plug stuff in.

Now, to be fair, from the patient side it's a very good design.  The rude
awakening for us was when we started to realize that all of the posters
that said, "Imagine a hospital built just for you" were really aimed at the
patients and that they could give a rat's patootie about those of us on the
non-revenue side of the house.  We joke that we're all still imagining that
hospital.

--

Paul Braun  WD9GCO
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard