Re: [OM] Now how in the world did I miss that?

Subject: Re: [OM] Now how in the world did I miss that?
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:26:25 -0500
On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Chuck Norcutt <
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just a day or two ago I was extolling the virtues of my new E-M5 grip.
> <
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Bracket-Holder-Hand-Grip-f-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-Ballhead-Quick-Release-Plate-/261212248838?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160
> >

> What I failed to realize is that when the hand grip wraps around the
> right end of the body (thus giving a very comfortable grip) is also
> covers the SD card slot.  I didn't realize it until a short while ago
> when I decided to download some images I took yesterday.  Hmmm.  Where's
> the card slot?
>
> If you typically remove the card for downloading as I do you will find
> yourself having to remove the grip first.  And, in my case, since I
> always leave a tripod QR plate on the camera it must come off first too
> since it covers the attaching screw of grip to body.
>
> No problem if I were to use the supplied USB cable for download but
> that's not typically the way I do it.  Oh, well.

Once in a while I forget to put the CF card back into the camera after
off-loading a bunch of raw files.  I have a 2 GB xD card in the camera as
backup to cover such gaffs.  But because I don't have a decent xD card
reader, I have to off-load the raw files on the xD card with the cord.

It's not terrible.  In fact, handling an xD card can be a challenge and
maybe it's best left in the camera anyway.  But I really prefer removing a
CF card and using a card reader.  Why?  It's more stuff to manage when a
simple cord does the job.  Makes no rational sense to cling to a card
reader unless you can't keep your battery charged up.

Anyway, I think I would be OK with your grip, Chuck, because the SD card is
closer to the size of the xD than the CF.  But maybe we should simplify our
lives and try to get away from card readers.

Joel W.