Re: [OM] My first attempt at HDR

Subject: Re: [OM] My first attempt at HDR
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 08:45:49 -0600
> We had a US30 Dragway west of York, PA that was also the airport
> runway.  It felt odd flaring for touchdown with grandstands to either side.
>  It an airplane needed to land during an event they would hold the cars and
> you just landed long.  Pretty strange.

There were several airports that converted a taxiway or runway to a
dragstrip. They were generally marked with an "X" to indicate the
runway closed, but I was thinking that the York one was an exception
in that it remained an active, but little used runway. Not all runways
at an airport get equal use because of length, prevailing wind
direction, and instrument landing aids. Unless there was a really
honkin crosswind, I'd likely stick with the modern 300 foot wide,
15,000 foot long runway, than the 150 foot, 2700 foot long
runway--especially as that one is surrounded by 75 foot obsticles.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx