Re: [OM] (Very OT) Rental Car Insurance, UK style

Subject: Re: [OM] (Very OT) Rental Car Insurance, UK style
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 16:30:01 -0700
As someone who drives to Mexico about once a month, the exclusion of
insurance by US companies for Mexico is expected. You can get, if you check
around, liability coverage for some $83-85 per year, for Baja coverage.
Adding full collision on my RX-450h, for some $50k coverage, is another
$300/yr. Its the liability that's the sticking point with the US companies.
If not fully licensed with the Mexican government, they can't cover you.
And if you don't have Mexican liability coverage, the Mexican police will
throw you in jail if you are in an accident.

That said, I've found Mexican drivers (at least in Baja) to be far more
polite on the highway than those in the US, so I don't worry much, and keep
my Mexican liability coverage up to date.

---
Scott