[OM] Publication rights question

Subject: [OM] Publication rights question
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 08:57:34 -0500
A friend of mine saw my dragstrip sunset photo and suggested I submit it to
Hot Rod Magazine.

I looked at their website, and found the disclaimer for reader-submitted
material.  Essentially, if they use my photo, I sign over all rights to
them, forever, and they can  do whatever they want with it, wherever they
want to, on whatever media they choose, including any media that might be
invented sometime in the future.  And I get nothing in return.

Obviously, I'm not going to do that.

My question however:  Is that the norm?

--

Paul Braun  WD9GCO
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard