Re: [OM] OT: Newspaper Declines

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Newspaper Declines
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 18:27:48 +0200
It will go away only if people stop buying it. I think the top-of-the-line
national papers like NYT and Wall Street Journal are safe, perhaps also
Washington Post. For the rest, they need to explore new business models and new
ways of doing things. Sometimes I think the papers are their own worst enemy,
though. An example: I want to keep up with what is happening in Denmark, and I
do so mostly by watching the evening news from Danish TV online every day. But
of course I also miss the deeper analysis that a quality newspaper can provide,
and so I checked on prices of electronic subscriptions to a couple of the
leading papers. In all cases, the price was based on sending a paper edition to
me in Spain. No special price for electronic delivery. Sorry, but that's just
19th century thinking and if they continue to think that way, they are doomed.

Cheers,
Nathan

On 3 Aug 2013, at 18:21, Tina Manley wrote:

> One luxury that we allow ourselves is daily delivery of the New York Times.
> I would really miss sitting around the breakfast table reading a real
> newspaper.  Reading it online, included in the subscription, is just not
> the same.  I will miss it if it ever goes away.
>
> Tina
>

> On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>>     Not too long ago we were discussing the firing of the photographers
>> at the Chicago Sun-Times.  Here in Pnoenix they recently discharged 18
>> staff members from the Arizona Republic, owned by Gannett.  This morning I
>> read that the Boston Globe was sold for a pittance sum of $70M:
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23559329
>>
>>     Treeware (ink on paper) newspapers are becoming extinct.  I delivered
>> the last 5-cent daily newspaper back when I was in high school, and it's
>> really sad to see this decline as it's a source of pocket money for kids
>> who are up to doing a little work after school.
>>

>> Chris
>> --
>>

> --
> Tina Manley