Re: [OM] OT: Newspaper Declines

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Newspaper Declines
From: <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 21:09:34 -0500
Cc: Paul Laughlin <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
This should be a business school study. The newspaper execs think they can
reach success by making their product more and more unpalatable. I was told of
a recent experience in new Orleans. The major paper was losing subscribers at
an alarming rate. They made the Monday through wed Paper very small, then
stopped those days entirely. Soon, out of business. Then a daily in a nearby
town (baton rouge?) saw an opportunity. The opened a nawlins bureau, fully
staffed, and printed a daily nawlins edition, which is successful. When will
people learn, you can't cut your way to success. And, you can't make money with
a website.
---- Paul Laughlin <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 From my viewpoint, it looks like more of a loss of advertising revenue.
  The Oregonian is cutting back to something like delivery only four
days a week along with an online thing full time.  Their advertising has
really fallen off in the last few years.  I am not real happy about
losing the daily paper.
Paul in Portland OR