Re: [OM] One more lens to look for

Subject: Re: [OM] One more lens to look for
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 13:17:04 -0500
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> > but one should not discount how much easier the 90 is to use.
> Easy to use?? It's manual focus! If I want easy to use and hand hold any
> modern AF like my Sigma 105/2.8, 35mm or even the 12~50 m4:3 is better.

Were we not comparing the 90 and 135?  I find the 90 a lot easier to use
than the 135, which is quantified in the sheer number of "normal" 90mm
shots I make with the lens.  I never use the 135/4.5 in the same way I use
the 135/2.8, for example, for the simple reason that it is a more
complicated rig.. YMMV.

It is also harder for me to focus than the 90/2.  My keeper rate on film is
better with the 90/2.  With the 5D and EMF adapter as a digital back, my
keeper rate has improved.

This doesn't mean I don't like the 135/4.5 and I'm not disparaging it.  In
fact, I am using it more than ever.  Where it is at its best, I still don't
find it better than the 90/2, but I like the working distance, etc.  If I
can only take one, I take the 90/2.

In hopes of lightening the kit, I once compared the 85/2 and 90/2.  The
85/2 is pretty good but requires the 7mm tube for it to be as versatile as
the 90/2.  The convenience (for me, at least) of the 90/2 always seems to
trump the lighter 85/2 + tube.

> > The difference between f2 and f4.5 is very significant....
> True, but the dof is still too shallow IMO. Even stacking one would use
> a smaller aperture. Only useful for focus, then stop down.

Yes, that was the gist of my comment.   Lens speed is really nice for
manual focusing.

Joel W.