[OM] Growlers, et al [was Shy girl]

Subject: [OM] Growlers, et al [was Shy girl]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 13:14:52 -0700
On 7/28/2013 9:44 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> That's an interesting (beer?) bottle with ceramic (?) snap cap.

Most likely plastic, these days.

> You don't see those much any more, at least in the US.

You may not, I do.

Remember, I'm unintentionally partially immersed in the craft beer business. We
had dinner last night with my sons, one
daughter-in-law and two granddaughters, at - surprise - the Triple Rock Brewery.

Both sons had bought their 'growlers' with that closure to be (re)filled. WikiP
say:

"Growler

A growler is a glass or ceramic jug with a capacity of 64 U.S. fl oz (1,892.7
ml; 66.6 imp fl oz) used to transport
draft beer <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_beer> in Australia, the United
States and Canada. They are commonly sold
at breweries <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewery> and brewpubs as a means to
sell take-out
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take-out> craft beer. The exploding growth of
craft breweries and the growing popularity
of home brewing has also led to an emerging market for the sale of collectible
growlers.

Growlers are generally made of glass and have either a screw-on cap or a hinged
porcelain gasket cap, which can provide
freshness for a week or more. A properly sealed growler will hold carbonation
indefinitely and will store beer like any
other sanitized bottle. Some growler caps are equipped with valves to allow
replacement of CO_2 lost while racking. The
modern glass growler was first introduced by Charlie and Ernie Otto of Otto
Brother's Brewing Company in 1989.^

While 64 U.S. fl oz is the most popular growler size, growlers are commonly
found in 32 U.S. fl oz, 128 U.S. fl oz,
1-litre (33.8 U.S. fl oz; 35.2 imp fl oz), and 2-liter sizes as well. The two
most popular colors for growlers are amber
(a brownish hue) or clear (often referred to as "flint"). Clear growlers are
often 25% - 35% cheaper per unit than their
amber counterparts. Glass handles are the most common type of handle for
growlers, although metal handles (with more
ornate designs) can also be found. Some growlers do not have handles – this is
especially common with growlers smaller
than 64 U.S. fl oz that have Grolsch-style flip-tops.^

The term likely dates back to the late 19th century when fresh beer was carried
from the local pub to one's home by
means of a small galvanized pail. It is claimed the sound that the CO_2 made
when it escaped from the lid as the beer
sloshed around sounded like a growl."

I also have a couple of empty Grolsch bottles at home awaiting pick-up, as well
as a full one awaiting drinking:

"Closure

Bottled beer is sold with several types of bottle cap, but most often with
crown caps (also known as crown seals). Some
beers (for example Grolsch) are sold in "beugel" style bottles, known as "swing
top" in some English speaking countries.
These bottles were superseded by the crown cap at the end of the 19th century,
but survive in premium markets as
nostalgic items and as convenient bottles for home brewing."

Malt & Hops Moose