Re: [OM] Lonesome Highway

Subject: Re: [OM] Lonesome Highway
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 19:11:09 -0600
> "RAW file converted in Picasa." Someone needs to ask - Why?

Because, for DMC-L1 files, it does a very good job. Remarkably good,
actually. I'm pleasantly surprised at how good of a program it is.

> Perhaps it wouldn't matter, but the brightest parts of the clouds have blown
> highlights. Color shift isn't much problem, but the loss of detail in the
> clouds is a shame. All that subtle detail up until ...

That was my doing. I didn't go to much effort--it was just a lick and
a promise. Adjusted the saturation a bit and the highlights clipped.

Part of the problem is something I've groused about before. The DMC-L1
does NOT like golden hour all that much. When the light goes orange,
the L1 turns that nuclear red.

> Is there hope for a better conversion? You need it for a great print.

Yup. Already in the works.

> PS: The E-1 is gone, when does the DMC-L1 follow it? Will you then get a
> camera with decent dynamic range?

Already have one. Just getting another raw converter for it this week.

I just pulled this offending file up in Rawdigger and confirmed a
couple of things:

1. There are two stops of headroom before any of the four color
channels clip. (The DMC-L1 also has the two types of greens).

2. There are 10 stops of dynamic range in the raw file, which is
limited by the bottom end. I should have pulled the exposure up one
more stop, but would risk having the highlights honk out on me.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx