Re: [OM] Another July '13 Trip photo

Subject: Re: [OM] Another July '13 Trip photo
From: Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 12:04:37 +0000 (UTC)
Nice.  It has a pleasing softness to it.

        ----- Original Message -----  From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>  To:
Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  Sent: Fri, 09 Aug 2013
05:56:37 -0000 (UTC)  Subject: [OM] Another July '13 Trip photo       Returning
to Calif., we drove down US 97. For many miles, it is rather flat, mixed desert
and irrigated fields, a lot of   relatively low key sameness. There was also a
lot of dust in the air, so the visibility was considerably less than I've
seen before.       We climbed a modest ridge, and as we turned at the summit,
an apparition appeared. Visibility to the South was also   limited, but more
like water vapor mist. Out of this appeared Mt. Shasta, just the main cone. The
lower parts weren't   visible, and even the secondary peak, Shastina, was
almost lost in the haze.      Something about this floating mountain seemed all
out of proportion to our surroundings, just huge, and floating in the   sky. It
jarred us. Then the road descended and it disappeared behind trees and close
 r, lower topography.   I have many, much 'better' shots of Mt. Shasta. I can't
really judge how this one will strike others, because it brings   back to me
that moment and the emotional impact.      I could easily up the contrast, etc.
But I think this is as it appeared to us.  Shasta is an impressive mountain
anyway. The highest point in the continental US, Whitney, is hard to pick out
from the   other 14, 000+ ft. peaks around it. Shasta rises about 10,000 ft.
straight up from the surrounding terrain. But the   impression on us was
something else.    Holy Moly Hill Moose    --   What if the Hokey Pokey *IS*
what it's all about?  --