Re: [OM] VSL - Aug 7 - Gearing up/down

Subject: Re: [OM] VSL - Aug 7 - Gearing up/down
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 15:52:56 -0600
> So what happened to editing, selection, post-processing?
> To me, this way of working is akin to shooting a bunch of film and just
> giving it to the client,
> undeveloped. Of course, if the client wants it that way and pays for it,
> great. Still seems strange to me.

Not necessarily. Let's use two examples:

1. Studio shot for client where a graphic artist/designer is involved.
They'll want the image with minimal post-processing and maybe even in
raw format. In this environment, having the lighting perfect before
the first exposure is made is critical. The photographer need not
worry about cropping the image and the selection itself is usually
made by "group think". This is no different than any existing studio
environments where the camera is shot tethered. The photographer runs
the camera and other people do the computer stuff. If the photographer
is a one-lung operation and is working direct with the client, he/she
may still choose to keep everything as close to perfect in-camera as
possible. The JPEG is output directly for customer selection and the
post-processing occurs later on the RAW file that never left the
camera.

2. Event Photography. I can speak from experience on this one. I
shoot, and in moments between the action, I'll do some in-camera
selects. Those get uploaded automatically to a gallery or emailed
directly to the client where it is then posted in their live stream
blog or whatever social networking they are doing.

I have gone with one other scenario where the Eye-Fi is gold. During
the photo shoot, I will have the JPEGs copy to a nearby iPAD. I'll set
the resolution a little lower on the in-camera JPEGs to speed up the
process, but by doing this, we get to review images on a larger
screen. When working this way, I just have it set to copy everything
as it is shot. No need to mess with the camera for review. It's easier
to chimp on an iPAD than it is on the camera's LCD.

Regardless, for either of my two scenarios, the idea is to get it
right in-camera before you ever press the shutter release.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx