Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 31: the Norwegian Epic

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 31: the Norwegian Epic
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 12:10:45 -0700
On 8/10/2013 10:39 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> So far I have posted galleries from Italy and from Marseille resulting from
> the cruise we did last week. Here is the last installment, in the form of the
> weekly blog. Most of the pictures are from the ship, with a few from land as
> well. There is all kind of strange stuff, but also a nice jazz pianist, a
> couple of lovely ladies, artfully folded towels and much more:

Thanks Nathan, I've always thought cruises looked unappetizing.

Having crossed the Pacific in both directions and served on US Coast Guard
cutters, I've seen enough ocean to last me.
The idea of being packed into a tight space with thousands of folks bent on the
sort of enjoyment such a place may offer
is rather horrifying. At least if I went to Vegas again (first and last time,
one night in 1969), I could escape to the
desert.

It seems there are few harbors, from the tropics to the arctic, where one does
not see huge ships docked or anchored
with endless little boats shuttling folks to and fro to rush through town and
the tourist shops.When we are in Maine, we
always see at least a couple off Bar Harbor at any time. (Didn't Chuck visit
that way a couple of years ago?)

Then we saw the QM2 docked in Portland. I find it hard to imagine Portland
Maine as a tourist destination. Nice enough
little city, but we only visit because we have friends there. Well, lots of
good food. I'm looking forward to a couple
of restaurants there in a few weeks. (Can we manage three breakfasts at the
Cajun Kitchen?)

We too like independent, largely unstructured travel. Many of the nicest parts
of our recent road trip were places we
didn't know about when we started out, including some fabulous gems.

My younger son and his wife enjoyed a mandatory cruise in the Caribbean with
her family, but their tastes and experience
differ from mine.

I occasionally consider an Alaskan cruise, as the only practical way to see
much of that spectacular coast. And they are
a pretty diversion for those along the way. I was on the top of a hill at night
on Cortez Island a few years ago. In the
midst of the quiet, dark and endless stars, one could see what looked like
little, brightly lit birthday cakes moving
across the water in the distance. Too far away to hear them :-)

Travelin' Loose Moose