Re: [OM] Another July '13 Trip photo

Subject: Re: [OM] Another July '13 Trip photo
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 12:43:29 -0700
On 8/10/2013 8:27 AM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
> Ahh... lots of smoke from the big fires near Ashland.

That would make sense. Still, there was a lot of dust, and warning signs about
dust, on the long run from Klamath Falls
to where the road starts to climb near Mud Lake, but the further obscurity
could be smoke.

The haze around Shasta didn't look like any forest fire haze I've encountered.
It had the bluish quality of moisture,
rather than the brownish of smoke. Certainly some water clouds came in from the
west over the area the next day. The
marine layer has been very strong on the coast and influenced far inland.

> Looks like the view from where my wife's gx3 grandfather homesteaded in
> the 1870's.

Wow, that's dry country. Not even much grazing, let alone farming, on 97 there
now. A long stretch of 97 is also Dry
Creek Road. :-)

> Shasta has nearly as much prominence as Rainier but is in a less populated
> area.

Yes, only a few feet shorter. I think the immediately surrounding terrain is
similar elevation, but it is certainly
impressive from near sea level in the Seattle area. The different climate means
that Shasta is visible more often,
though, ;-)   I spent a week in Seattle area once, and only saw Rainier for a
few moments as we drove away. Have you
noticed that Rainier is also rain-ier. :-)

Mountainous Moose