Re: [OM] (OM) OT Real estate - impending purchase

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Real estate - impending purchase
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 23:08:28 +1200
Rick wrote - asked:
> OK Brian... Now you have to 'splain it to the rest of us (or at least - to
> me.).
>
>  No joke.
>
> What's the looks-to-be concrete slabs? Are those grave sites or cripts?
>
> Rick
Passing years have seen changing preferences.

If you go to  http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=7778
(make large)

On the left, this side of the two left-most golden Italian cypress trees, you
can see a rectangular shape made of loose platy schist rock, and this
follows the outline of the boundary of the bought plot. The coffin of, in this
case Sydney Attfield, d. 2010, lies at least 6 feet beneath - lower down. On
top they have laid a cover of smaller loose rock. At the head of all this (ie
at
one end) is a gravestone with his name, dates and family names etc.

On the right, on the other side of the vacant plot I hope to buy, are a couple
of similar arrangements with more-or-less solid concrete boundaries. These
also are of fairly recent styles.

If you go beyond those two and also for the reverse view, to

You see much more expensive and well made TOTAL cover plots with the
coffins beneath.   After, in some cases nearly a century, they are still
intact.,
due to the quality of the work.

I don't know what name you might want to attach to them.

In the last 5 years I have also refurbished (re-made) the grave of my great
grand-parents. It was well over 100 years old and made using very poor
quality concrete. And as for very many graves, made by undertakers doing
the work once the family are out of sight, the quality of work and materials is
often poor, and it just falls to pieces as the ground moves (as it does) and as
coffins collapse - as they do over time..

And also to respond to Wayne (below), I want to take the cost and
decision-making burden away from my children, who will be many miles
away, and in any case will be bothered enough by having to decide on the
disposal of my belongings.
It will cost just a bit over $1,000 for the double plot. As far as I can tell
it is
the LAST one where they will permit the construction here of a bounded
plot. All others will be grass except for the headstone on the "beam" as they
call it here.

Designed to reduce the cost of grass mowing and to make it more park-like.

Elsewhere, and also on top of very old graves of gold-miners from the
1800's who ended up having no headstones, there will be a concrete beam
laid over the ground for the headstone, and in a plot of 40 x 40 cm adjacent
the box of ashes from the crematorium can be buried.

Of course, people can do almost what they want with ashes, and do.

4 years ago, since the rest of my siblings wanted to have nothing to do with
them, I buried the 30-year old ashes of my father in the grave of his parents,
under the headstone. At least he is now laid to rest. He had managed, in his
last few years, to so infuriate my siblings, that to even mention his name
was enough to start an argument ...  Using a self-timer, I even took a
photograph of me placing the casket of his ashes in the hole ... During the
previous week, I had his casket in the car beside me as I drove around so of
the places he had known - incidentally to whatever else I was  doing. Just for
fun, so to speak. I hope he enjoyed the rides.

The undertakers were glad to see the last of his casket. His were not the
only ashes so sitting. They have a whole store-room of similar.

> On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Wayne Harridge <
> wayne.harridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>     I'll leave those sort of decisions to somebody else - my only
>     stipulation is that they ensure I'm
> actually dead before they dispose of the body ! ...Wayne

Brian Swale