Re: [OM] VSL - Aug 7 - Gearing up/down

Subject: Re: [OM] VSL - Aug 7 - Gearing up/down
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 13:25:15 -0600
> Maybe for the studio but I really don't think I could ever work this
> way.  Fortunately, I don't have to any more.

Well, it's an adaptation to the entire change in working methods as
well as costing. Back in the '90s, the per day rate for a commercial
photographer was $500-1000. Today, it's $500-1000. Back in the '90s,
that did not include consumables, such as film and processing which
had mark-up. Now, in the digital age, the photographer eats the cost
of the digital camera and digital image processing system. Back in the
'90s, the photographer didn't do any airbrushing, or if he did, he
charged for it with mark-up. Now, the photographer is willing to sit
for hours at a computer screen doing grunt work that he's not getting
paid for.

So, to be able to shoot in a way that the image goes direct from
camera to client without any additional work is a good thing because
the photographer really isn't getting paid for any of the value-add
stuff. Why do it? Get the image right in-camera, and shuffle it off
immediately to the client and wash your hands of everything else.

As to the other applications, we live in an iPhone culture now. We
want to be able to take a picture with our phone and with the press of
a couple of virtual buttons output it directly to a website, Facebook,
email, Flickr, Tritter, etc. I'm calling this "Shoot Put" (should I
trademark this term?). Shoot and immedately put it up on the web. The
lowly $40 Eye-Fi card has turned my DSLR into the capture device for
this application. Instead of the cheese-ball built-in cell-phone
camera, I have all the glorious aspects of a real DSLR, but the
conveniences of a smart-phone.

Unless, of course, you are one of the 14 people left in the USA that
doesn't use a smart-phone. If so, then there is no amount of
hyperventilating that I can do to convince you that the 21st century
has meaning.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx