Re: [OM] More New Camera Technology

Subject: Re: [OM] More New Camera Technology
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 16:05:55 -0700
On 8/14/2013 5:03 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
> Then there is THIS aspect of iPhones
>
> http://kyeos.wordpress.com/2013/05/10/warning-if-you-take-photos-with-your-cell-phone/

ONE

This is typical alarmist drivel. We have pounded into our heads, esp. perhaps
in the US, the extreme danger our children
are in - so much worse than when we grew up.

It just isn't true. The book "Raising Free Range Kids" explores all the ways in
which we think kids are in great danger.

An example; how many children do you think have been harmed or killed by
Halloween candy? The number in the US is Zero.
There was one case of poisoning initially thought to be from trick or treat
candy. It turned out to be done by the
father, using Halloween as a cover.

The book's conclusion? The overall risk to children from strangers today is as
low or lower than in the 50-60s. We've,
for whatever reasons, become a society driven by, apparently obsessed by, fear,
almost all of it unwarranted.

We've actually caused some children harm with or obsessiveness. "NEVER, NEVER,
talk to strangers!!!" Now most child
abductions are part of family fights about custody, and the people doing the
"abducting" are family members who are not
strangers.

So what happens with real stranger abductions? Some children who were abducted
were asked why they didn't cry out for
help, "I'm not supposed to talk to strangers."

TWO

Geotagging is not, of course, new. Nor necessarily bad. I've bought two cameras
in part because they had this capability
and a stand alone geotagger. I regularly record a GPS track and use it to
geotag my pictures.

I WANT to know where all those images were taken. No more of that head
scratching, trying to figure out where that
waterfall is, etc.

As even the alarmist site points out, the major social sharing sites strip out
that info. The user may, of course either
not have it recorded or to strip it out before sharing.

Alarmist drivel.

Tempest in a Teapot Moose