Re: [OM] IMG: Angel Oak

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Angel Oak
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 00:20:42 +1200
Tina wrote:
> PESO:
>
> While we were in Charleston, we visited Angel Oak, the largest tree east
> of the Mississippi:

That's a really impressive tree.

In 1996 I was given a copy of the 1964 book ( 9th printing 1992) of "Tumult
on the Mountains - Lumbering in West Virginia 1770 - 1930" by Roy
Clarkson.

In it are photographs of huge yellow-poplar and white oak trees with straight
boles reaching very high. Their like will never be seen again.

The extent of the land cleared of forest, and the scale of the industry were
staggering.

Similar happened in New Zealand. And the land was sterilised after by
wild-fires.

Brian Swale.