Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 07:11:05 -0600
The Chuck wrote:
> Operating its controls is still far from second nature.
> I find that operating the rear control wheel is
> awkward for a  left-eyed shooter as is reaching the play back button
> (which would have been my choice for a focus button if it weren't so
> hard to reach).  If I anticipate I'll have plenty of time to take a shot
> (usually) I'll take the E-M5.  If I expect I'll be shooting people and
> may have to shoot quickly and/or use fill flash I'll take the 5D.

You did a good job of summing up my thoughts on the controls. Minolta
did such an amazing job with the A1 that it's almost been totally
downhill from there. The E-1 was also very good, but yet the A1 still
did a couple things better. The L1 is kinda all over the boards in
that some aspects are superior and others are inferior. What we are
talking about is how well a camera falls to the hand. Can you operate
the camera by muscle memory or must you take your eyes off the subject
to see what you are doing? (In this aspect, the lowly OM-2S was better
than the OM-4T).

I've thought that the E-M5 has better controls than any Olympus
digital other than the E-1/3/5/30. The E-P5 is a little better. Was
the control layout and overall comfort enough with the E-M5 for me to
buy one? No. But I don't think it was bad.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx