Re: [OM] Does anyone read the links? [was OM-D E-M1]

Subject: Re: [OM] Does anyone read the links? [was OM-D E-M1]
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 14:01:15 -0500
On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 8/14/2013 4:05 PM, DZDub wrote:
> > However, I suspect it is a mismatch to the old lenses
> > as size goes.  I already find the older, bigger DZs a bit of a mismatch
> > a body the size of the E-400.
>
> I think this is in part simply an adjustment. For those, like me, who have
> always tended to hold the lens in the left
> hand, for MF focus and for zooming, it's just a shift of support %s toward
> the left hand. Left hand supports, right hand
> operates.

Tactile aesthetics merely.  (Don't we all use left hand support?  Basic
technique, no?)  Olympus users have been faced with lens overload
frontsy-tipsy since the introduction of some of the larger f2 lenses.
 You're right, it's just an adjustment.  You want to use this lens on that
camera?  Get used to a certain oddness.

I'm just not sure I want every lens in my system to impart that oddness.
 There are times when I just love the kit lenses that came with the 400
series.  They fit the camera and they are light. Makes me suspect that this
new body would simply become a bridge to mFT lenses, which is gonna be
brilliant for Olympus if that happens.  Still, I think I am an outlier WRT
Olympus' marketing strategies (not as bad as Schnozz by several lightyears,
however).  But maybe this is a logical step for them to close a loop, move
that f2 inventory, and do right to the loyal first flank of users.  If it
is all that you surmise, it might do all that.  We shall see!

Lenses designed for PD, could have large, heavy focusing groups, with a
> matching motor. This turns out to be a terrible
> design for CD, with issues of inertia and power. The first kit lens for
> the E-P1 was famously slow focusing. All the
> later µ4/3 lenses, labeled 'MSC', including the 14-42 II, use small, light
> focusing elements and a different kind of motor.

I may not notice one way or another.  Every subsequent E-system body after
the E-1 represented some improvement over its predecessor in focusing speed
-- without explanation in most cases.  The E-620 is like lightening with
SWD lenses, but it is incrementally faster than everything older that I
have too. In any case, I do a lot of pre-focusing and AFL when I don't want
to count on the lens to do it on the fly (which is most of the time -- not
a knock against Olympus, just how I work).  I have so many built-in
compensations and habits by now that I doubt focus speed would be one of
the first things I'd notice or certainly care about.

>> I've just recently brought home some shots with the DZ 50-200 handheld at
> >> 1/15 sec.  I felt the shots would be beyond hope, but they were
> >> surprisingly sharp with the E-620's amazing IS.
>
> I find the five axis IBIS to be better than the older, two axis design.
> Especially for someone, guess who, who has a
> tendency to jerk the camera in rotation when pressing the shutter button
> in certain situations. :-)

Maybe you need that there battery grip thingie. ;^)  Seriously, who doesn't
do that from time to time?

Joel (safe among friends) W.