Re: [OM] Does anyone read the links? [was OM-D E-M1]

Subject: Re: [OM] Does anyone read the links? [was OM-D E-M1]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 13:09:43 -0700
On 8/15/2013 12:01 PM, DZDub wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I'm just not sure I want every lens in my system to impart that oddness.
>>   There are times when I just love the kit lenses that came with the 400
>> series.  They fit the camera and they are light. Makes me suspect that this
>> new body would simply become a bridge to mFT lenses, which is gonna be
>> brilliant for Olympus if that happens.

I'm sure they are hoping for that. :-)

The kit lenses for µ4/3 are certainly small and light. I don't think I could be
happy with the collapsing 14-42.
Deployed for use, it's not much smaller than the 12-50, which does more,
better. The collapsing 9-18 is OK. I don't use
it all that often and it is smaller for storage.

What might happen is acquiring µ4/3 WAs and using existing 4/3 lenses for the
rest. The lack of a mirror means WAs may
be designed with shorter back focus, like Leica, so they can be simpler,
smaller and lighter. The shorter register
distance means the elements can all remain within the lens body, unlike Leica.

Thus, the 4/3 9-18:
<http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/wide.html#i_009-018mm_f040-056_olympus>

  * Filter size = 72mm
  * Dimensions = φ79.5 x 73mm / φ3.13 x 2.87 in.
  * - Plus 20 mm of adapter
  * Weight = 275g / 9.7 oz.

While the µ4/3 version is a completely different optical design, much smaller
and lighter:
<http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/wide.html#i_009-018mm_f040-056_olympus>

  * Filter size = 52mm
  * Dimensions = φ56.5 x 49.5mm / φ2.22x 1.95 in.
  * - Yeah, well, 20 mm longer when not collapsed.
  * Weight = 155g / 5.5 oz.

For longer lenses, the length of the lens body of the 4/3 lens will be shorter,
as the register distance difference is
almost 20 mm. In the case of the 40-150s, the 4/3 lens with adapter will be
about 9 mm longer and weigh more, as the
lens itself is 30 g heavier, plus the adapter.

>> ... I find the five axis IBIS to be better than the older, two axis design.
>> Especially for someone, guess who, who has a
>> tendency to jerk the camera in rotation when pressing the shutter button
>> in certain situations. :-)
>>
> Maybe you need that there battery grip thingie. ;^)  Seriously, who doesn't
> do that from time to time?

Thanks. :-) Fortunately, the E-M5 IBIS has my back. And I'm working on my
technique with the Pens.

µ F. T. Moose