Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 15-16/8: two Madrid vignettes

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 15-16/8: two Madrid vignettes
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 20:24:23 +1000
No - deadly serious.
Dogs banned utterly here but screaming, obnoxious, snot-nosed, ill-disciplined
infants running or crawling  around with dire rears draw benign smiles. Dogs
tend to sit quietly under the table in those countries civilised enough to
allow them entry to cafés, such as France and I have never, ever been bothered
by one, physically, or nasally. People tend to have enough sense not to bring a
poorly behaved dog into such a place. I was talking about urban dogs, not
working farm dogs which are altogether another thing. As are farmers.
No such self-applied rule applies to children and I have watched in horror as a
woman cheerfully changed a filthy nappy on the table next to me and in another
case, watched a child encouraged to pee in a bottle while standing on a
restaurant chair a few feet from me. My quiet lunch wit a book or newspaper is
often made unbearable by feral mothers with hordes of unrestrained, feral
offspring. And if you were to even look like complaining, the heavens would
fall upon you.
My dog smells of dog but only at very close quarters (hugging distance) and it
hardly compares to babyshit or even halitosis.
In fact, the odour of damp dog is one of the finer threads of the fabric of
life.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com