Re: [OM] An E-M5 problem

Subject: Re: [OM] An E-M5 problem
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 09:46:52 -0400
I have moved on to the EP-11 but decided to give my own an inspection.
I was a bit surprised to see that the EP-11 was a bit loose but I've
never had it fall off.  After removing it, a close inspection of the
bottom edge of the frame showed that one of the two spring tabs was in a
raised position and had passed over the top of the camera's frame rather
than sliding down into the groove.  I thought at first that the tab must
be broken or bent but soon figured out it was neither.  Rather than
breaking or bending, the plastic tab had pulled out of the rubber eyecup
at the bottom.  When I pressed it down hard it snapped back into place.
  When I tried to re-install it it appeared loose again.  Checking it
again I found I had missed the groove on the left side.  The frame
hadn't pulled out of the eyecup again but had ridden up over the top of
the camera's frame.  I removed it, pressed the eyecups's frame down
again to make sure it was seated into the rubber eyecup and then
carefully re-installed it and checked to make sure it was secure.  Seems
just fine.

I suggest you give your EP-10 the same close inspection and re-seat the
eyecup frame into the eyecup if necessary.  If that doesn't fix the
problem let me know (by private mail) and I'll happily send you my
EP-10.  I love my EP-11 and am not going back.

ps:  I wondered if maybe the lenses we normally use and how we carry the
camera can have an effect here.  I normally have the 14-150 installed
and, if I flip the camera downward such that the strap rings flop over
and under the strap lugs the camera rests against my belly with nose
pointing at the ground and the eyecup doesn't rub against my belly.  I
think Moose carries his camera on a handstrap which might also minimize
the problem.

pps:  OM bodies with third party teardrop eyecups were much worse in
this regard.  I stopped using my OMs (except OM-4) when I lost the
teardrop eyecup carrying my diopter correction lens as I hate looking
through viewfinders whilst wearing glasses.

Chuck Norcutt