Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - new ones up!

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - new ones up!
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 14:48:01 -0600
> The part that tickles me is that your 21-year old self is till in there
> ready to freak out at the situation!

Yes, it is funny how we just tend to age, but can get giddy around some people.

I entered the entertainment industry at age 18 and made a fool of
myself early on. By the time I reached 25... Oh, who's kidding who? I
STILL make a fool of myself.

A side story that I've told before, I'm sure. I was checking into a
motel one evening down in small-town South Carolina (or Georgia--the
lines and family trees are a bit blurred in that area). This was about
20 miles past the boonies. I think it was the only motel in town and
served the business traveler as well as the local one-hour service
business. I'm tired after a long day of travel and will be their the
next few nights. The night manager looked familiar. After a minute I
remembered him. He had been a record producer and was working in the
same studio complex as my group was at the same time about 8 years
previous.  Turns out that he had a couple of bad bands in a row and
ended up working as the night manager in the middle of nowhere.

Another time, I was in NYC working in one of those really really
famous radio stations.  I'm trying to teach the DJ how to run the new
equipment and he's about as thick-headed as they come. I had to switch
methods at least three times. Honestly, I don't know him from the man
on the moon--he's just another DJ/talking head on the radio that just
happens to be in the largest radio market in the world. They all tend
to be a bit wierd and babble to themselves when the microphone is off.
It wasn't until later that I realized just who he was. Yeah, whatever.
(according to the ratings, he had the largest non-syndicated audience
in the country). I wasn't impressed because I had been around radio
stations long enough to know that WKRP is a documentary. I've been in
enough small-market stations to have met more than a few top-market
DJs who burned out.

They all end up eating at Waffle House.

--
Ken Norton