Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 15-16/8: two Madrid vignettes

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 15-16/8: two Madrid vignettes
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 22:58:14 -0700
On 8/18/2013 3:24 AM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> No - deadly serious.
> Dogs banned utterly here but screaming, obnoxious, snot-nosed,
> ill-disciplined infants running or crawling  around with dire rears draw
> benign smiles. Dogs tend to sit quietly under the table in those countries
> civilised enough to allow them entry to cafés, such as France and I have
> never, ever been bothered by one, physically, or nasally. People tend to have
> enough sense not to bring a poorly behaved dog into such a place.

That level of self discipline seems unlikely to be the rule in the US. People
think it their right to bring poorly
trained/behaved dogs every where it's legal and some places where it is not.
Negative reactions to such behavior, human
and canine tends to be taken as personal attacks on their rights.

At least the one today who's codger owner was talking to his friend about how
it needed more socialization to become
used to and comfortable with people had said dog under firm control on a leash.

> I was talking about urban dogs, not working farm dogs which are altogether
> another thing. As are farmers.

I met a stand-off-ish border collie today. As I showed I wasn't a problem for
it and am not a sheep, it politely
maintained its distance.

> No such self-applied rule applies to children and I have watched in horror as
> a woman cheerfully changed a filthy nappy on the table next to me and in
> another case, watched a child encouraged to pee in a bottle while standing on
> a restaurant chair a few feet from me.

Anther apparent cultural difference There may be restaurants in the US where
that could happen, but I would not be in
one. Illegal almost everywhere and grounds for instant ejection. There are fold
down changing tables in many, but by no
means all, public bathrooms here. Part of the US hysterical fear based society
is intense 'germ' phobia.

When the killer bug that destroys humanity develops, it will surely be from the
US and be a result of selective breeding
to survive the endless anti-biotic measures taken. Even supermarkets here now
have antibiotic wipes at the entrances, so
one may disinfect the shopping cart handle.

If we can't put our hands where others have done so, imagine the hysteria at
baby poop.

>   My quiet lunch wit a book or newspaper is often made unbearable by feral
> mothers with hordes of unrestrained, feral offspring. And if you were to even
> look like complaining, the heavens would fall upon you.

Go to those places which serve food children don't like, or parents of young
hordes can't afford. :-)

> My dog smells of dog but only at very close quarters (hugging distance) and
> it hardly compares to babyshit or even halitosis.
> In fact, the odour of damp dog is one of the finer threads of the fabric of
> life.

A matter of opinion. I don't dislike dogs, lived with one for some years and
generally get on with those I meet.
Nevertheless, I do not find their models smell attractive in fact. often mildly
off-putting close up. And I quite
dislike the smell of wet dog. Nor am I partial to the small of poop, baby child
or adult. ;-)