Re: [OM] IMG: Yesterday's Rose

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Yesterday's Rose
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 00:02:04 +1200
Tina wrote:
> PESO:
>
> What a difference a day makes!  Here is the rose I posted yesterday as it
> looks this morning:

> and from yesterday

> Different lenses, too.  I tried the 60 macro today instead of the 100.
>
> This is an old-timey southern rose bush absolutely covered in blooms but
> the blooms are tiny - about 1/2 "  tall.

That's amazing. That bloom is smaller even than the crocus I photographed
( and was given to the Central Otago arts site). I actually measured that one
with a tape, and it was/is 2cm = 3/4 inch from the top of a petal to its bottom.
That shot was 1/15 second at ISO 125, at at f/11 or f/16 or f/22.

I was so pleased to find after all the shouting was over ( or shooting) that
the
bloom was nearly all in focus from front to back. I decided to go for max
DOF and ignore the potential bad effects of diffraction.

There's no way I could have got a shot that sharp hand-held. Tomorrow I'll
try and get a couple of shots of what my shooting set-up was. The blooms
are still there.

I wonder what the name of that rose is. This site is excellent but it helps a
lot
to have a good idea at the start as to where to begin
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=157
Altissimo is one of the roses we have. Refresh the page (repeatedly) to
bring up a succession of different pics of the same variety.

Brian Swale