Re: [OM] Moon Shot

Subject: Re: [OM] Moon Shot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 00:52:53 -0700
On 8/22/2013 7:09 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Strange.  The larger 2755x2066 images (which are only displaying at
> about 50% size on my screen) make the moon appear as though it's covered
> by teeny-tiny pock marks.  I assume this is some sort of digital noise
> or artifacts from display conversions.  Do you see that in your
> originals, either the full resolution image or the 5+ MP JPEG image that
> you uploaded?
>
> Actually, I just realized that what I'm seeing at 2755x2066 must be a
> 1:1 crop out of the full frame.  At 600mm (300 + 2X converter) the image
> size of the moon is only about 1/4 of the 4/3 frame height.  Maybe ACR
> can remove that "noise" in its noise removal step... the one where
> you're told to review at 100% or greater.

There's something wrong here. That level of 'noise' is just not what the E-M5
does at ISO 200. Could be some combination
of brightening underexposure and/or over processing without prior NR. It has
the 'wormy' look of such. Maybe too much
LCE (Clarity slider in LR)?

Moon shots have a very narrow DR for the moon itself. First steps that are
often useful are NR and using Levels to
spread the histogram and set the midpoint.  Then fewer other adjustments are
necessary.

Those two steps alone, on a small JPEG already over processed in some way, make
a dramatic improvement in this image.

Level Headed Moose