Re: [OM] Loose Loonies (was: IMG: Free hugs)

Subject: Re: [OM] Loose Loonies (was: IMG: Free hugs)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 14:43:09 -0700
On 8/26/2013 1:33 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Moose of the Hills wrote:
>> Still outside my set of referents. I did know such a person exists, and have
>> probably scanned my eyes over still pix - on their way elsewhere.
> You are aware that we elected Barrack Obama? Right?

Again with that 'we'. I, and a few others, elected him, while you were voting
otherwise, as I recall. I've not been much
impressed, but then, I didn't expect to be.

> Tell you what, Moose. I might buy a current camera if you stay up on
> current events. :)

Not even near worth it.

I am intentionally ignorant of a vast range of so called current events. As
I've observed the passing parade for almost
seven decades, it has become more and more apparent that most 'events' are not
of any significant or lasting consequence
and very few are current, in the sense of being anything but repeats of endless
patterns.

Obama is an example. As he came to prominence as a candidate, I couldn't help
but remember JFK. Both charismatic young
men full of ideals and the first of a minority to be likely to be elected
president. Neither with much practical
experience of how the real levers of power work. Neither with the courage,
patience and fortitude to fight from the
beginning, and doggedly, for their agenda. Had JFK not been assassinated, I
believe he would have gone down as a largely
ineffectual president, remembered more for an endless mess in Vietnam than for
the brief bravura of the Cuban Missile
Crisis.

Now, we have to figure out what Obama's compromise health care system is going
to cost us to cover Carol. I've been
paying for Medicare for going on five years; haven't used it yet.

I gave in and sampled bits of the MTV thing. Tasteless performances by
marginally talented youth have been going on
forever. I can't see where this particular example of tedious music and
choreography is notable in the stream. Neither
particularly smutty, nor the least bit sexy. Just more noise, both musically
and as news.

Isolating myself to a great extent from the endless repetitions of 'news', the
vast majority of which isn't, helps make
me a much happier person, leading a quite wonderful life. Cutting out noise
makes it easier to notice and enjoy what
matters.

Cultivated Ignorance Moose