Re: [OM] BBC

Subject: Re: [OM] BBC
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 09:36:11 +0100
I believe you are missing the point.  Reading the article:

A spokesman for the BBC said: "We were aware of this image being widely
circulated on the internet in the early hours of this morning following the
most recent atrocities in Syria.
"We used it with a clear disclaimer saying it could not be independently
verified.
"Efforts were made overnight to track down the original source of the image
and when it was established the picture was inaccurate we removed it
immediately."

BBC did not steal the photo from Getty, but re-posted a photo circulating on
Internet (inadvisable, for sure, but news at the time, and posted by BBC
with a health warning). Turns out that whoever originated the posting lied.
Well, whaddya know? Who would have thought it, someone is using Internet to
disseminate propaganda!

By the way, Tina, did you notice the date of the original article - May
2012?

Piers