Re: [OM] 12-40 F2.8 Oly zoom for the EM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] 12-40 F2.8 Oly zoom for the EM-1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:36:47 -0700
On 8/28/2013 2:02 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> Fast zooms were a big deal in film and early digital days. We associate them
>> with serious/pro photographers because they are big, heavy and pricey and
>> because they were bread and butter lenses for many actual pros.
> (major snip)
>
> I'll play this one a different way. Let's say that I'm photographing a
> wedding. I want consistancy between images and will nail down as many
> settings as possible. Shooting aperture priority mode is one of the
> most common things that wedding and event photographers will do. If
> you have a variable aperture zoom, that means you are limited to an
> aperture so deep as to essentially be worthless. I agree about the
> high-ISO performance and everything, but if I'm also using flash, the
> backgrounds will be so variable between shots that it creates a
> post-processing nightmare as well as a loss of exposure continuity
> throughout the album.

You, and Candace, make my point. You are professionals, at least part time, and
need specialized equipment. Is anyone
else here doing portrait and event work for money? Anyone here doing sports
photography for money? I see Steve Scharf's
name occasionally, but not here. Still shooting motorsports with big honkin'
lenses on big honkin' Canons, I'll bet.

> I really hate variable aperture zooms. I've been using them throughout
> the digital era, but that doesn't mean that I like them.

But would you actually spend this kind of money on a lens? Have you aver bought
a fast AF zoom?

> For the hobbiest and vacation traveler photographer, it doesn't matter
> one whit, so variable aperture lenses are just peachy.

And for the professional doing several kinds of work. If you read my post, you
know it was about matching tools to the
job at hand.

Sticky Guns Moose