Re: [OM] The new revolution?

Subject: Re: [OM] The new revolution?
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:39:46 -0500
On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The first time in ages that Oly has taken care of those left behind by a
> change in direction of technology/market.
>
> I say the same thing and get railed on. But you are right. It is
> refreshing that Olympus is at least appearing to give a rip about
> existing customers--probably finally recognizing that it might be
> important to hold onto the last dozen it has left.
>
> OK, so that might be why I get railed on.

We're all prone to a moment of clarity occasionally, Ken. :)

And gentlemen, are there a lot of examples of camera companies taking care
of those left behind by changes in direction, etc.?  It seems like it comes
down to mount changes.  In the switch to EOS, did Canon give a rip?  It
seems like the merits of the change justify themselves over time.  Which
doesn't mean I don't appreciate what it appears that Oly may be planning to
do, I just wonder if Oly is tied to some higher standard.

I'm certainly an existing customer.  In fact, I just picked up an old set
of kit lenses that came out with the E-300.  Slow, heavy.  (That's good,
right?)

They now accompany my E-1, which resides in my office, with the battery
grip that Michael Collins so kindly gave me.

My more exciting new lens, however, is the DZ 18-180.  I got some sort of
wild Moose hair in me and decided to try a lens like that as a single
walk-about lens.  It's about the same size as the 14-54.  I was very
surprised at how close it can focus at the film equivalent of 360mm.
 Amazing.  It's tactile qualities are far better than I anticipated too.
 No pixel peeping as yet, however, so I reserve the right to dump on it
later.

I am very excited about the new rumored body.  The only problem is that I'm
not really done with my E system bodies yet.  I rarely buy cars or camera
equipment new, but I might have a bake sale and get on the mailing list for
this one.

Joel W.