Re: [OM] The new revolution?

Subject: Re: [OM] The new revolution?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 16:09:49 -0700
On 8/30/2013 9:39 AM, DZDub wrote:

> And gentlemen, are there a lot of examples of camera companies taking care
> of those left behind by changes in direction, etc.?

Nikon, Pentax, Leica, Sony, when it took over Minolta.

> It seems like it comes down to mount changes.  In the switch to EOS, did
> Canon give a rip?  It
> seems like the merits of the change justify themselves over time.

I've thought about that. I think Canon realized the FD mount just wasn't going
to be adaptable to AF, and would hold
them back. In the end, the new mount, with short register distance, was a
wonderful idea, making them the universal
digital back for MF lenses of almost all mounts - "merits of the change".

> Which
> doesn't mean I don't appreciate what it appears that Oly may be planning to
> do, I just wonder if Oly is tied to some higher standard.

Only by AG. ;-)

> I'm certainly an existing customer.  In fact, I just picked up an old set
> of kit lenses that came out with the E-300.  Slow, heavy.  (That's good,
> right?)
>
> They now accompany my E-1, which resides in my office, with the battery
> grip that Michael Collins so kindly gave me.
>
> My more exciting new lens, however, is the DZ 18-180.  I got some sort of
> wild Moose hair in me and decided to try a lens like that as a single
> walk-about lens.

Oops, I think we are crossing paths. I haven't used the 14-150 in many weeks,
having succumbed to two bodies with 12-50
and 75-300. I should probably get it out and use it again, before it gets
sulky. :-)

> It's about the same size as the 14-54.  I was very
> surprised at how close it can focus at the film equivalent of 360mm.

I keep mentioning this characteristic of many contemporary long focal range
zooms, but people don't seem to 'hear' it.

I guess it's easy to remember the old days, when the 'macro' setting of most
zooms was at the short end.
I found 2-3 set up the opposite way. The Tammy 35-80/2.8-3.8 goes to 1:2.5 at
the long end, or 1:1.25 as a slower 160 mm
with the 2x extender. I fount a Tokina with close focus at the long end, but
not the top end AT-X. The excellent Kiron
28-210 goes to 1:4 at the long end.

Your 18-180 goes almost to 1:2, 35 mm eq. The 14-150 goes to 1:2 (35 mm eq.) @
150 mm, the 75-300 to 1:3, and they work
with auto extension tubes. The Tamron 28-300 that I used with Canons for years
also goes quite close at the long end.

C. U. Moose