Re: [OM] The new revolution?

Subject: Re: [OM] The new revolution?
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 21:14:46 -0500
On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > My more exciting new lens, however, is the DZ 18-180.  I got some sort of
> > wild Moose hair in me and decided to try a lens like that as a single
> > walk-about lens.
>
> Oops, I think we are crossing paths. I haven't used the 14-150 in many
> weeks, having succumbed to two bodies with 12-50
> and 75-300. I should probably get it out and use it again, before it gets
> sulky. :-)

Makes me feel a bit less slavishly immitative somehow.

> It's about the same size as the 14-54.  I was very
> > surprised at how close it can focus at the film equivalent of 360mm.
>
> I keep mentioning this characteristic of many contemporary long focal
> range zooms, but people don't seem to 'hear' it.

The DZ 50-200 is just marvelous at the long end.  I become aware of it on
the rare occasion when I try to get it to do something it actually can't
do, because it mostly can.  For some dumb reason, I wasn't expecting the
18-180 to do as well.  I think maybe that it can't quite, but it must be
awfully close.

> Your 18-180 goes almost to 1:2, 35 mm eq. The 14-150 goes to 1:2 (35 mm
> eq.) @ 150 mm, the 75-300 to 1:3, and they work
> with auto extension tubes. The Tamron 28-300 that I used with Canons for
> years also goes quite close at the long end.

I have a DZ 25mm tube.  I figured I might need it with this lens, but now I
doubt I will, really.

Joel W.