Re: [OM] (OT) MIcrosoft computer question

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) MIcrosoft computer question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 10:42:39 -0400
Yes, if you'd like some paranoia definitely install Ghostery.  But for
your particular case there may be some more direct discovery as well as
treatment of the problem.

Lets start with some simple diagnostics... let's find what is starting
this thing up.  When does this ad window or black sidebar first appear?
  Is it there immediately after you boot and before you have started any
application or browser?  If so the malware is installed as a "Windows
service". Services are started (mostly) automatically at boot time and
provide mostly essential underlying functions that will be needed by the
system and apps when they come up.  But malware can get itself installed
there too such that it's always running.

If not installed and started as a Windows service then it must be being
brought to life by some app (including the browser) or activated in some
way by a particular web page.  The web page ought not to be able to
infect your system with malware but it does happen.  Whatever is there
is something you most likely willingly accepted to install.  Win7 is
much more secure than earlier versions of Windows since it will ask for
the admin's permission to install an app.  It shouldn't happen under
your nose.

If it does start as a service we can locate the service and (first)
deactivate it by preventing any auto startup.  It can also be removed
entirely but that's a bit more difficult.

If it doesn't start as a service and you can identify which app or web
page appears to bring it to life then we can check the list of processes
that are running both before and after the malware appears and identify
the process that's responsible.  If you right click the taskbar at the
bottom of the screen you'll see an option "Start Task Manager".
Clicking the Applications tab will show all running apps (you're not
likely to find it there), clicking the Processes tab will show all
running processes.  If it's running it's one of those things in the
list.  The task is to figure out which one and kill it as well as
prevent it from starting again in the future.

Let us know what you discover.

Chuck Norcutt