Re: [OM] (OM) Harbingers of Spring

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Harbingers of Spring
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 23:07:23 +1200
Joel asked;>
> That daff is about perfect.
>
> If I may ask, why do you have a N.American oak?  Do you have any native
> oaks in those parts?

Thanks re the daff; it was a bit of a gamble as the light didn't seem to be all
that good. Looks better than the original if some extra contrast is dialled in.

New Zealand does not have any indigenous oak species. As far as I know
the genus Quercus, to which oaks belong, is pretty much a northern
hemisphere genus.

People here plant them as ornamental trees because they (some species at
least, and also maples especially Japanese maples) give magnificent
autumn colours, grow much faster than indigenous species ( in many parts
of the country) and in any case they are deciduous. New Zealand has about
only 2 - 3 species of tree/large shrub which are deciduous, so natively
autumn colours do not exist over 99% of the country.

Brian Swale