Re: [OM] (OT) MIcrosoft computer question

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) MIcrosoft computer question
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 22:03:04 +0930
Brian,

I was wondering why you had chosen not to update (from a much, MUCH
earlier thread)...

I may be missing the point, but I offer the  below suggestions to see if
they help.

davidt

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 11:18:48PM +1200, Brian Swale wrote:
> I have three versions in active use.
> 3.62 is very handy for downloading some kinds of file without interacting
> with
> them. Kinds that it doesn't understand, for example pdf, MP4 files

r-click->'save target as...' (save linked content as / save image)

...or if you want it to NEVER process something:

tools->preferences->advanced->downloads ands uncheck the 'hide file
types opened by Opera'. Search for the ones you don't want it to open &
delete them.

> 9.50 and 9.63, the last of the 9 series.
> Both will save whole web pages very well (Firefox is utterly hopeless at
> that).
> I use 9.63 as the testing browser when writing web pages. Nearly always
> fast to load. Many other browsers (especially MSIE) do not display as Opera
> does, which is sometimes a nuisance.
> I write using pure html. I'm not prepared at this stage in my life to learn
> any
> more javascript or CSS (which never worked well for me).

How do you mean 'save'?  do you mean capture the entire page as the
individual files (there are much better tools for this)? or as a single
.mht file?

> My main grumble with 9.63 is that any address typed into the command line
> stays there for ever. I don't want that. So I try to not add any. It is not
> possible to edit the contents of the saved command lines, which is a real
> disappointment..

tools->preferences->advanced->history->clear  will wipe your address history.
Edit? type it again I suppose :)

> None of these older Operas work with some modern page codes such as
> facebook. Just have to go to the like of Firefox for that and endure the
> interminable waits and profile building.

Try updating FF frequently - in my experience there are really fast
ones, and slower ones  (that's an oversimplification, but some releases
ARE better than others) :)