Re: [OM] IMG: Pungo Creek Butcher

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Pungo Creek Butcher
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 10:28:26 -0400
  Time to weigh in here. The main difference between Polenta and Grits is
the type of corn used. Polenta is derived from Flint corn whereas grits are
made from Dent corn. Flint corn is very hard and makes for a toothier
cooked product. Dent corn is a softer corn resulting in a more mushy
product. Another big difference is the size of the grind. Most of the
commercially prepared grits are finely ground and precooked to some degree.
Classic example is Quaker Quick Grits (not to be confused with Instant
Grits). They are partially cooked and only require about 10 minutes to
prepare. It is a uniform, reliable product that, with a little doctoring
(butter, cheese, cream. etc.), can be made very tasty. You either like the
texture or you don't. There is little middle ground in that regard. Instant
Grits are completely cooked then dehydrated. To cook simply add boiling
water. They are not fit for human consumption but are pretty good for
bricklaying.
    The smaller, local mills produce a coarser grits from whole dried corn.
The cooked texture is very similar to Polenta and they have a very "corny"
flavor unadulterated. None of these foods, grits or polenta, have much
flavor by themselves and, like plain rice, usually serve as a vehicle for
eating something else very savory i.e. shrimp cooked in rendered ham.
Another favorite use is to chill cooked grits in a flat pan, then cut in to
squares which are then pan-fried and served under a gooey seafood casserole.
   Oddly enough, even though I grew up in Charleston, we rarely had grits.
My mother, though she grew up in the South, hated them and refused to make
them. It wasn't until I went off to college (Clemson University) that I was
exposed to grits on a regular basis. And being typical Institutional food,
they were pretty bad. Fortunately the girlfriend I met there had a mother
who grew up in rural NC who put me on the right path to good old fashioned
grits.

Charlie