Re: [OM] DZ 18-180 heading back to KEH

Subject: Re: [OM] DZ 18-180 heading back to KEH
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 10:10:57 -0600
There's an 18-180 sitting here in Colorado that I had my eye on. So, I
tossed it on the DMC-L1 to take a few test shots. Although OK, it
wasn't great. The image quality reminds me of the OM Zuiko 100-200
zoom. Decent, when compared to other zooms, but lacks that something
extra that the OM Zuiko primes have. It could go only so sharp and
that was it. I'm good at squeezing every last drop out of my lenses
and cameras, but felt that the 18-180 stopped at "OK", but never at
"great".

I walked out with the 14-42. That lens is mostly "OK", but can be
pushed to "great" if you are very careful and creative.

As a general purpose lens for general purpose shooting, the 18-180
would have been fine, I think. But I don't like carrying anything that
doesn't go to "world class" when I need it. I'd shoot events with it,
but I would hike with it.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx