Re: [OM] Cute seal and sumptuous sunset

Subject: Re: [OM] Cute seal and sumptuous sunset
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 01:45:21 -0700
On 9/4/2013 12:40 AM, Peter Klein wrote:
> Thanks, Moose and Paul. Monsieur Moose, you are quite right about the
> white lines around the bird, but the degree to which you see them is due
> to the standard flickr view.  Evidently when they shrink the photo
> down, they think it needs more compensatory sharpening than you or I do.
>    If you view it at original size, the white lines almost go away.
>
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/9661844116/sizes/o/in/photostream/>
>
> There is a bit of a halo, though.

Yes, that's fine. That tiny bit doesn't bother me. 'Twere mine, I'd probably
obsess and clean it up more, but really ...

> For this one, Capture One's default
> sharpening is a bit too much. I'll probably crank that down a bit and
> replace the photo when I have time to look at it with non-tired eyes.
> Funny, it looked OK to me last night after a couple of hours of
> editing... :-)
>
> BUT, the orange line at the edge of the mountain is on the original. It
> might be an edge diffraction effect, perhaps amplified by the lens.

Looks right to me at the original size. Yes, atmosphere effects can do that,
quite different from the hard line in the
reduced version.

> The little seal pup has been getting a lot of "awwws" from my friends.
> I'm very grateful to him for showing up yesterday. I do hope he's OK.
> It's normal for the mothers to leave them beached for a while while they
> feed. They show up on this beach now and then, but this is the first
> time I've seen one in person.

Well, glad to share your luck!

They do that on some NorCal beaches, but it's lots of them at once, so while
some are out feeding the pups aren't alone.
Elephant seals gather on the end of Point Reyes, but the Park Service has quite
properly kept people at a distance. So
all shots are lone tele. I've got some, somewhere.

Sea otter moms will swim on their back, carrying the pup on their chest, then
wind its lower half in kelp, to keep it
from floating away while they dive for food. When that area is played out, they
move the pup to a new location. I think
the pup nurses while being carried. I don't seem to have posted these, either.

So Many Pictures, So Little Time Moose