Re: [OM] IMG: Magnolias, Yesterday and Today

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Magnolias, Yesterday and Today
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 13:17:48 -0700
On 9/4/2013 8:37 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> The difference a day can make:

> C&C greatly appreciated.

As illustrations, fine. As images, to my eye, the first works, because the
focal plane is on the forward part of the
bud. Together with the light and the softly detailed character of the petals,
gives a slight glow. Pleasing.

The second does not, as the focal plane is shallow and located behind the
blossom making it blurry and the leaves behind
it sharp. No glow, and my eyes are uneasy, viewing it. They can't decide
whether to land on the bright blob or the nice,
clear leaves.

Shallow focal plane photography is tricky, which is one reason I generally
eschew it, myself. If doing it, it's not a
bad idea to bracket focus.

Might the focus cam on your lens be off, or some such? (I know little about
Leica focus mechanism/issues.) Does
approaching focus from opposite directions result in the same focal plane? (I
don't even know it you have live view, to
compare to the rangefinder focus.)

Blurry Moose