Re: [OM] IMG: Pungo Creek Butcher

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Pungo Creek Butcher
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 09:10:20 +1200
Moose wrote about what I wrote
> I guess I have to take issue with two aspects of what Ken wrote.
>
> 1) 'Protein', by which I assume that he means 'meat', is not the main part
> of a healthy meal, although I have often noted that chefs (and recipe
> books) seem to categorise main course meals according to what kind of meat
> is in them. 2) Ken omitted any mention of green, root and seed vegetables
> (eg beans); these are the most nutritionally valuable components of a main
> course meal. 3) In my book (ie according to my judgement), potatoes are a
> valued meal item on their own and don't necessarily need anything else.
>
> I'm no longer a vegan, but am well aware of what makes a safe meal,
> health-wise.
>
> IMO; YMMV.
>
> Indeed it does. I disagree with all four statements.
>
> For some perspective on the vast range of firmly held opinions on diet,
> from reading many, many books on the subject, I refer to the addendum to
> this post.
> <http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2013/09/
> to-the-vegans-followup-ot.html> No one actually knows all that much that's
> generally applicable.
>
> There's a book you might find interesting, /Sex, Time and Power/, by
> Leonard Shlain, (MD). It's an inquiry into the evolution of humans to find
> explanations for our characteristics that seem on the simple face of them
> to be anti-survival.
>
> One need not agree with his theories as to why it happened to find the
> story of our evolutionary changes in metabolism after splitting from the
> apes interesting and informative. No need to read past chapter 11 or 12,
> for this purpose.
>
> What's fascinating is his evidence (he is a prodigious researcher) that we
> evolved from primarily vegetarian to carnivores that supplement vitamins
> and minerals from plant matter. (This is all before we learned to make
> grains, many roots and other raw plant matter digestible by cooking in
> water.)
>
> His discussion of dietary energy efficiency in a species evolving a brain
> that will use 25% of all bodily energy was an aspect I'd never considered
> before, as are some of his other pieces of metabolic information.
>
> I find his discussion of the similarities and differences between the
> details of our metabolism, those of our closest relatives and other plant
> and animal eaters quite persuasive. If, as he has persuaded me, we spent
> millions of years becoming primarily carnivorous (whether for the reasons
> he proposes or not) then intentionally avoiding or severely limiting meat
> in ones diet and eating the sort of thing we evolved away from eating puts
> unnatural stresses on our metabolism.
>
> He makes no arguments about what one should eat, weight, etc. His purpose
> is elsewhere. But I find what I learned there playing an important part in
> my dietary choices.

> [...]

Michael C. Johnston seems to have just taken a broad-based look at the
range of diet books without going into important science.

I watched about 20% of the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo
ie, 16 minutes of the total 1 hour 16 minutes, and it seemed that what he is
on about is obesity and weight-loss.

Those are irrelevant to what interests me, which is the total obliteration of
the leading cause of premature death in the Western World; vascular
disease, caused by atherosclerosis and arterosclerosis. Currently,
somewhere around 35% of premature deaths are cause by heart attacks
and strokes, and nearly all are preventable; BUT most of the health advisers
seem to think these are not avoidable. Through knowledge of biochemistry
relating to artery health, these premature deaths ARE avoidable, and if a
person has arterial disease already, this can be reversed.

Please look at this 10 minute video; the voice is that of Dr Joe Prendergast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDqLcblMyIY

Moose, I will send you separately, a 7 page article I have submitted to a
local glossy magazine named "Investigate" run by a local author, Ian
Wishart.

Hope that helps.

Brian Swale