Re: [OM] Alternate Paradigm [was Harbingers of Spring]--macro FL and shu

Subject: Re: [OM] Alternate Paradigm [was Harbingers of Spring]--macro FL and shutter speed for hand held shots
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 03:15:11 -0700
On 9/6/2013 12:37 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Shoot and Run Moose writes
>

>>> Here are some close-up and macro shots from the last couple of months, all
>>> shot hand held.
>>> <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=8184>
>
>>> I've actually posted many C-U/Macro shots over the last year plus, but may
>>> not have made it clear that virtually all are hand held. These samples of
>>> using the extension tubes, for example, were done without a tripod.
>>> <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=4514>
>>> The biggest drawback is shutter speed for unmoving subjects. The excellent
>>> IS of the E-M5 is a big help, but I'm often working at ISO 3200 in the
>>> shade.
> Oooo, missed those. S&R Moose likes the loooong FL macro and it does
> work very very well to simplify the background.

Not so much a preference, as the only/easiest way to get some shots. I do have
a few casual shots with 75-300 from a
distance and the 43 mm macro of the 12-50 from close-up, but haven't looked at
them next to each other, as they are with
different camera bodies, so in different directories. Where' that round TUIT?
(Not the lens.)

> Must see the mft ext tube PZ14-42 set up which worked  MUCH better than
> I would have expected.  Must be a tiny kit.

It does indeed work rather well. I've been trying the idea of E-PM2 with
PZ14-42 as a casual kit. Being able to carry a
10 mm tube in a pocket for the odd close-up is a help. As I've mentioned, the
E-PM2 can be set up so it doesn't' have
settings changed as put in and out of a pocket or bag.

> Got me a thinkin. Always read that long FL requires higher SS handheld
> as it increases the magnification so moderate change in FL at same mag
> shouldn't make that much difference, no?

Not sure what the question is.

> Thinking about the extremes at a 600mm FF equivalent FL must play some
> role
> as lateral motion would be exagerated at that longer working distance.
> So what gives?

The five axis IS is rather good Because it knows from the lens the focal
length, it can adapt it's action. Something
over 1/320 is almost always OK, and with care, and perhaps the assistance of a
handy tree or ..., even lower.

> At high M the distance from the sensor plane to the image = the sum of
> the image and object distances or: ... So for example at 1:1 (1+M)**2 =4 and
> the
> shutter speed for sharp handheld imaging needs to be 1/4th as long as
> would ordinarily be the case for the focal length.

Which would be 1/1200 sec? Empirically, that's higher than necessary. I like to
get 1/500 or more, but have many shots
that appear critically sharp below that.

I don't know how much all those rules apply to those who pixel peep. That's
greater magnification than was used in the
old film calculations.

OTOH, the 75-300 @300 mm only focuses to 1:5.6, in absolute terms, although if
magnified to the same size as 35 mm, it's
the eq. of 1:2.8. So, I'm cropping quite a bit for most small subjects. How
that works in to your calculations, I'm not
going to damage my brain trying to work out.

The 12-50 in macro mode, @ 43 mm gives twice the magnification, but working
distance is quite short, and awkward for
many subjects.

Just to make things more complicated, I'm using deconvolution, which I suppose
shouldn't, but does, in practice, improve
small movement blur, I believe. It does have a mode to work on greater
movement, but that's a different can of eels.

> This ignores a
> purely rotational shake and that would be substantially altered by the
> center  of rotation.  Suspect the
> (1+M) factor is not squared but linear if the center of rotation is the
> exit pupil but not sure I  can prove that (esp at work)

The E-M5 IS corrects for rotational movement, too.

I don't know just what happened, but it seems KEH offered free two day
shipping, I looked to see what of interest they
might have, ended up reading lots of user reviews of the 60/2.8 macro, which
I'd not really looked at before. They are
universally highly laudatory, and, well ...

What? Moose